Rain slows 1st Street project

Subhead

New ‘substantial completion’ date now set for Aug. 9

Body

Construction and utility crews working on Aurora’s 1st Street renovation project met Monday to review progress reports and detailed work schedules going forward, all with an eye on the goal of completing road work on the south end of the project before school starts in August.
Heavy rains have caused delays in recent weeks, prompting the Aurora School Board to create an advisory committee last week to begin discussing alternative route plans in case road work near the school is not completed on time. Scott Griepenstroh, a construction representative with JEO Consulting who led Monday’s progress meeting with the contractor and various utility crews, said he wanted to be clear in setting expectations for the “substantial completion” deadline of Aug. 8.
“Substantial completion is Aug. 8, but everybody’s got to keep in mind that means the roadway and essential intersections (will be) open,” he said. “There might be some sidewalk and driveway construction that they will still be working on in the area. We will have it open, substantially complete, open and accessible, but that’s primary access, not sidewalks. We’d like to get all that stuff done, but if weather doesn’t allow it, we will get everything else done.”
Monday’s progress meeting lasted approximately 45 minutes, as crews discussed plans to begin demolition of 1st Street from Mark Street to Parklane as of Tuesday, June 17. That work was initially scheduled to begin earlier this month, but has been delayed.
It was also noted Monday that Aurora’s emergency services authorities have been contacted to establish and clarify routes for emergency service access throughout the project area.
Griepenstroh noted that substantial completion of the entire project, which extends from Highway 34 to the railroad tracks, is slated for Oct. 15, with total completion expected by November.