H Street home damaged by fire

Article Image Alt Text

A discarded cigarette was determined to be the cause of an early-morning fire Wednesday which caused significant damage to a home on H Street in Aurora.
The Aurora Volunteer Fire Department responded to the call just after 4 a.m. and had the blaze contained within minutes, according to Assistant Fire Chief Glenn Obermeier.
“When we got there the back porch was fully involved in fire,” Obermeier reported. “We pulled a line off the truck and within five minutes of arrival we had it knocked down.”
A state fire marshal was called to investigate the scene, arriving in Aurora around 5:30 a.m. Shortly after 6 the cause of the fire had been determined.
“We did have the fire marshal investigate and someone in the house admitted putting out a cigarette butt about 11 p.m.,” Obermeier said, noting that the house was at 1701 H St. is a rental property. “That was determined to be the cause.”
Obermeier also reported that though charred remains can be seen on the east side of the house, there is heat and smoke damage throughout the structure.
“One bedroom door was closed,” he observed. “Everybody should see how much of a difference it makes to have the door closed because that room virtually had no damage. It’s amazing how much difference that makes for saving contents.”
Obermeier also reported that the front door of the house was open when fire crews arrived. The first thing he did was shut it to reduce air flow.
“It didn’t take very long for them to knock the fire down, but the damage was done,” he said.

 

Rate this article: 
No votes yet