Political stalemate nothing new in D.C. PDF E-mail

I’m hesitant to get into political discussion, but the turmoil back in Washington hopefully could soften by the time this column is published.

However, during the political standoff I have heard a few comments that I feel “hit the nail on the head.”

One individual commented that it’s time for our Senate and Congress to begin representing the wishes of people and what’s best for our nation instead of what’s best for the Republican and Democrat party. Prior to the government shutdown and government debt ceiling, another political writer stated, “Congress and Senate will again push the ‘reset button’ on debt ceiling and move on for a few more months and push ‘reset’ still again”

If you think this current political battle is something new, I happened to come across a campaign publication prior to the 1952 election of Eisenhower vs. Stevenson. In fact, the pre-election political issues apparently haven’t changed much in the past 61 years.

Excerpts from the 1952 publication warn of economic storms ahead: “Many economists say our so-called prosperity is based on the quicksands of war, preparation for greater wars, government handouts, grants, loans, subsidies and wasteful spending. Government debt has to be paid sometime. Unemployment in February 1950 was 4,684,000 – the highest since August, 1941 and unemployment in 1952 creates more hardships than unemployment in 1932.”

And finally the last comment: “We owe the change back there on Capitol Hill to our children and our grandchildren, who in the final analysis will be the sufferers through the loss of the kind of America our grandfathers and fathers handed down to us.”
That’s enough of politics.

***
The 87th annual Neiman Marcus Christmas Book and its fantasy gifts were unveiled this past week in Dallas. There are 500 suggested gifts in the 175-page catalog and 40 percent of the items are priced under $250. Of course that leaves 60 percent of the items above $250  . . .  and some of those are WELL ABOVE!

I’ve never ordered any gifts from the catalog and hopefully the betterhalf never sees one of those catalogs. I don’t want to disappoint her this Christmas, but I must warn her she will not receive one of the 10 specially made Aston Martin autos selling for $344,250 each. The betterhalf will also not find a $1.85 million 25-carat diamond along with the trip for a private viewing of the Crown Jewels and dinner in the Tower of London.

But, please don’t feel too sorry for my betterhalf. She still has a chance for the catalog’s monogrammed mug that costs $12. But, I wonder if that includes shipping?

RL Furse  is publisher emeritus of the News-Register

 
RocketTheme Joomla Templates